[ale] Why do they keep putting VGA on Netbooks?!?!

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Thu Feb 3 21:52:49 EST 2011

Hi Greg,

Ooo Kaay.  My statement WAS a bit broad and you make some good points.
I'll hopefully make a few good points, but I'm not sure my brain is in
gear.  I may have to come back to this later.  This could evolve /
devolve into an off topic socio political discussion.  I recently bought
some soap for the bathroom.  There was a big gouge carved, by design,
out of the back.  They could say that it helps you hold it, but I'm
convinced that it's really the factory's method to cut the amount of
product they are delivering so they can give you less for the same
money, or even more money.  Rather than step up to the plate and tell
the customer they must increase prices to deliver the same product, they
cut production and try to slip it in under the radar.  I think this is
disreputable.  I just bought a box of Cheerios.  It literally is only
1.5" thick.  A few years ago, this box was 2 - 2.5" thick.  Buy a box of
ice cream now.  You get 1/3 of a gallon.  You don't get 1/2 gallon any
more.  Serve it up for 3 people, and the box is essentially gone.  The
point.  While I wholeheartedly support capitalism, I don't support
unlimited unregulated capitalism.  Human nature being what it is, and
corporate boards of directors being what they are, the dominating force
tends to become greed.  Steven Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective
People suggests to Think Win Win and Synergize when dealing with other
people.  However, this is rarely the case.  The corporation rarely
thinks or strategizes how can we give the best possible products to the
widest array of customers and maximize THEIR satisfaction, even possibly
at the expense of corporate profits.  They usually think what's the
least we can give to the customer, the fewest customer service agents,
and the minimal options and choices we can give the customer without
them SCREAMING too much and embarrassing the company.  How many people
ENJOY shopping at Wal-Mart.  How many times have you seen 57 registers
with 3 open, and 15 people in line at each of those 3?  What ever
happened to Target's never more than 3 people in line policy?  Don't
even think of returning something at Christmas.  Talk about under staffed!

To address the original point of the message, I don't really think we
need BNC RGB connectors on our monitors right now.  However, I pretty
much run both computers and cars until they die.  I have observed that
corporations, in America in particular, will roll out products only when
they believe they can make a substantial profit (I'm OK with that.), or
even an obscene profit (I'm not OK with that.)  At some point,
profiteering becomes abusive and morally wrong, whether it's legal or
not.  I have also observed that the corporations will support only the
mainstream most profitable section of the customer base.  Linux is is a
prime example.  We're a niche market.  We struggle to get support from
the manufacturers who don't want to hear anything about it.  Broadband
is the same thing.  We (the USA) have one of the slowest aggregate
broadband speeds in the world.  That's disgusting!  People in the rural
areas sometimes don't have broadband at all.  Again, they are a less
profitable niche market, not to be bothered with.

I have no doubt that when it's the most profitable for the corporations,
and the most tolerable to the majority, they will remove the VGA ports
from the monitors and projectors and KVM's, and leave all of us with
older equipment in the lurch, having to spend $ 100 to connect every VGA
device we own to our NEW fancy display devices.

By the way, I don't think those A-D chips need to be that expensive.
Maybe $2 - $5 max.  The Dell Inspiron 1525 notebook computer I'm typing
this on has VGA, SVIDEO, HDMI, Firewire, phone, LAN, and 4 USB ports on
it, as well as WiFi and the option to add Bluetooth.  And, I'm glad it
does.  It gives me lots of options and choices as to how to use it.  My
son's machine does NOT have SVIDEO, HDMI, or Firewire, and only has 3
USB ports.  I like his computer much less, although it works for him.
His doesn't even have a hard drive light, and that drives me insane.
Just because there's no hourglass on the screen, doesn't mean the
computer is not busy.  Neither computer has Serial or Parallel ports,
which is a bother if I want to hook up an old printer or a
microcontroller or something.  Also, DVI ports usually take more real
estate in the case of the computer, which is an issue for notebooks and
tablets, etc.

That thing about landfills you brought up is interesting.  I hadn't
thought of it.  That comment about it all being burnt up is interesting
too.  Are you talking about the end of time?  I hope to use my equipment
for a while before that.  By the way, God never said we wouldn't pollute
the Earth to death and make it awful to live here before the end.  8-)

Sincerely,

Ron

Ron Frazier

770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.