[ale] Mount a remote NTFS partition

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 15:31:05 EST 2011

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 11:05 AM, Michael Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:
> I have to wonder why it is that users cannot generally mount things in their
> home directory without additional privileges. All that *should* be required
> is access to the device node (or loopback file, or the network) and
> ownership of the mount point.
>
> Hurd has it, and Linux has it only for FUSE filesystems like sshfs (and only
> because it uses root for the mount operation, if memory serves). Why?

You can but you must be using a desktop environment like KDE or Gnome.
Those have the split permissions setup. The mount command has to write
to /etc/mtab. There's no cli command I know of that will allow a user
to mount anything without sudo or the like.

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.