[ale] 26G to backup

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 12:06:39 EST 2011

On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 11:53 AM, David Tomaschik
<david at systemoverlord.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The big headache is the time required to maintain the integrity of the
> data.
> > As was pointed out earlier, encryption is a problem looking to happen.
> Save
> > yourself the headache and buy a data safe instead and park the archives
> > there. Unless the data is clearance level stuff now and already stored
> > encrypted, don't bother. If the media is stolen, the encryption WILL be
> > cracked so it only make the maintenance cycle worse.
>
> I've got to disagree here.  The most likely scenario for a theft of
> your drives is a common house burglar.  They might plug a hard drive
> in or see whats on a DVD, but they're certainly not going to break
> encryption.  I have plenty of data I don't want anyone perusing
> (mostly financial data -- 1040s, W2s, paystubs, etc.) and LUKS
> encryption on the hard drives my backups reside on should be plenty to
> deter "casual" snooping if the drive gets stolen.

Point taken. If they went through my safe to get the backups, they are
likely sophisticated enough to also use the wrench process to get the key
from as well. So I rely on physical security for archives and encryption
for mobile data.

> Plus, if the drive is encrypted and later fails, you don't have to
> worry about whether there's some data that's still recoverable, etc.

Old drive platters make nice wind chimes :-)

> The only entities with the resources to break any currently decent
> cryptosystem (e.g., 128-bit AES) are large corporations and
> governments, and they'll just use the WRENCH method for decryption:
> http://xkcd.com/538/

Thus all my pr0n is encrypted to give them something to sort through :-D

> --
> David Tomaschik, RHCE, LPIC-1
> System Administrator/Open Source Advocate
> http://systemoverlord.com
> david at systemoverlord.com

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky