[ale] reverse DNS & spam (was: godaddy for DNS)

John Heim john at johnheim.net
Thu Dec 29 21:33:58 EST 2011

Wait a minute, something doesn't make sense to me. Why would a mail system
do a reverse lookup as a way to prevent spam? So the smtp client connects to
the mail server, the socket says the connection is from 66.170.20.226 and
the smtp headers say its from lists.iavit.org. If you lookup
lists.iavit.org, it does resolve to 66.170.20.226. That should be fine
because if I'm a spammer and I'm using an account  on 66.170.20.226, I'm
going to say I'm  somebody *else*. You know, I say I'm
Bill.Gates at microsoft.com or something.   If you lookup microsoft.com, you
don't get 66.170.20.226. Really, just the fact that lists.iavit.org and
iavit.org resolve to the IP address of the smtp client should be enough. How
is a spammer going to fake that? Yeah, I'm sure they could but it would be a
heckuva lot of work.

There is this SPF record thing where it asks the DNS server for hosts
allowed to send mail for that domain. That makes sense to me. I can
understand that. But I don't get the reverse lookup thing. It seems to me
that would block a lot of legitimate mail for no reason.

Maybe I'm getting "reverse DNS" mixed up with something else.A forward
lookup is when you take a name and get an IP address from it. Reverse lookup
is when you take the IP and get its name. Right?