[ale] Question

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 18:58:26 EST 2011

It's not about things being "easily worked through". It's about things
being rapidly worked through when the shit hit the fan. An expert in
Ubunutu will fall on their face in a crisis working on a RedHat system.

Granted there are a few people, I am not one of them, who like to keep all
the nuances in their head of how to do all the minutia twiddly bits of as
many distros as they can,. Been there, done that, discovered the folly of
the process. Once you have to admin 100+ systems, you DON'T WANT (!!!!!)
minutia differences causing a work-flow breakdown. so you settle on a
single distro (If your lucky) or maybe two, one for servers and one for
desktops.

The physical analogy I can give is the auto mechanic. Once guy has a bunch
of tool boxes with some sockets in one box and more in another. Neither box
has a socket rail so the sockets are jumbled together. Another mechanic has
just a single box and all of the sockets are neatly on a rail system in
size order. Your car is broken and you need it back on the road. Which
mechanic do you think will be able to work on your car the quickest? Yes,
there's some cost of maintaining the order of the tool box but the payoff
is in the crunch time.

I write scripts to do nearly all the mess I do. Scripting to support
multiple distros is not feasable. It turns into a mess. The best tool for
that is webmin. Go take a look at that and then decide if multi-distro adds
value to the people who write large checks.

RedHat enterprise for the companies that can afford the support contract
and you as the admin or CentOS for those that can't afford the support
contract with you as admin. The key is you as admin. Many smaller companies
are looking at Ubunutu, not for technical reasons but because of the vast
numbers of fresh grads who've tinkered with Ubunutu are willing to work
long, long hours for meager wages to make it work. The lack of a distro
standard way of doing things is fun for the admin for lousy for continuity.
Admins leave. New admins have to start over often because the old admin had
it all in their head.

So RedHat has their way of doing things. Is it perfect? Nope. But they have
a bunch of technical writers getting paid to document the crap out of
everything so it becomes common knowledge. Unless Ubuntu puts up some
serious cash to catch up on docs, they will never stand a chance of
catching the RHEL freight train. More likely, they will wind up under the
wheels like a penny on a train track.

And yes, every package may come from a pristing upstream source for all the
major distros. But they all add their own tweaks. It really is those tweaks
that make or break a sysadmin.

What do you want to be? A sysadmin or an apache admin? Or a bind admin? Or
a PHP mechanic? I have to install one-off packages on RHEL systems using
tarballs or custom compiles or whatever. I hate doing it. It breaks the
nice, clean rpm -qa | grep foo process so I can see _FAST_ from 300 servers
which machine has the wrong version of foo installed. So I make rpm's when
I can. I've made rpms of ssh keys so I can add admin keys to custom builds
and verify they are intact. The most important first line of defense when
using rpms is the ability to run rpm -Va to see the md5 sum of all binaries
compared to what they were at installation. Where's the config file for a
package? rpm -qc foo. How about the docs for it? rpm -qd foo. what about a
list of every file installed with package foo? rpm -ql foo. What about all
install/remove scripts for package foo? rpm -q --scripts foo

These tools allow a high degree of automation across an army of machines.
Now add high-level tools like Satellite/Spacewalk for large scale system
control/deployment (not a perfect tool but more that I have written in
scripts over the past 10 years) and security ID tools like FreeIPA and
DogTag. It's really the difference between working a few machines here and
there and working hundreds or thousands. I seen other tools like puppet and
it's a great tool for managing a gazillion config files. It's part of the
process but not the solution by itself.

You can't scale a mechanic shop if they work on all makes and models of
cars. It takes too many custom tools and the upkeep on that becomes too
unwieldy. Been there. Done that. Know the pain of having 30 servers and
they are all different. I mashed all 30 into a single default build and my
consulting profitability went up 100%. working one machine then translated
into working all 30 at once. same patches and process with different
customer data but all in the same path scattered around the metro area.

And now I put on my snarky old geezer hat :-) Managing systems is nothing
compared to keeping the admins focused on what needs to be done for the big
picture while balancing the inherent ADHD that runs rampant in all admins.
One huge trick is to thin out the variances between systems so the admins
won't bog down in scripting things for a pile of corner case event and can
focus on moving ahead. That understanding comes with experience and is
usually served with a bucket of misery as an appetizer.

OK. snarky geezer hat off.

To sum up: If you want employable experience and opportunities are lacking
to get that 5 years of RedHat exposure, collect old crap hardware and make
it run using the closest distro that will send home a paycheck, CentOS. You
can use another if you like but it will greatly deplete the marketability
of your skills. Choice is yours.

And yes, HR dweebs do look favorably on experience gained in home study. I
got a job in part because I bought some fiber channel gear off another
ALEer and tinkered with it at home. Once I made it do what I wanted it to
do, I added that to my resume. An HR person asked about it and I was blunt
in my explanation, "I've never done fiber channel on a job site but I
bought a set up to test with and set up a three server fiber channel
circuit and used it to store back up images and other high-speed data
sets.". They were impressed, as they should have been, that I would spend
my own cash and time to learn at home and recommended me up the chain to
the interview. Again I had to explain the fiber channel use in the
interview and was conversant enough with the protocols and tools that I got
the job and promptly had to go reconfig/fix a severely broken fiber-channel
setup.

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky

http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/