[ale] Question

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 14:01:45 EST 2011

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Michael B. Trausch <mike at trausch.us>wrote:

> On 12/27/2011 04:47 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> > Get CentOS and read the RedHat documentation
> > https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/ . Use nothing but CentOS 5 or
> > CentOS6 (CentOS is the poor mans RHEL). The vast majority of paying jobs
> > that come across the ale-jobs list (and that recruiters hit me as well)
> > are for REDHAT. By vast majority, I mean 80+%. That doesn't mean some
> > other distro won't work. But RHEL background will get your foot in the
> > door. Configs between RHEL and Ubuntu are totally not compatible until
> > you totally understand all bootup aspects of both distros AND are a bash
> > guru.
>
> I don't follow.

didn't think you would :-)

>  * GCC works the same on every Linux distribution, and its configuration
>   files follow the same format on every Linux distribution.

true

>  * Python works the same on every Linux distribution.

true (mostly)

>  * ISC software (e.g., BIND and DHCP client/server) use the same
>   configuration files and such on all Linux distributions.

very true

> The same is true for most packages that are available on multiple
> distributions.  Some of the core distribution's processes are likely to
> be different, in that they are specific to the distribution (e.g., rpm
> to Red Hat and derivatives), but IMHO it is most important to learn
> about the underlying software, because that is what you're *really*
> supporting and administering.

Um. not quite so true. Each distro has "it's way" of admin'ing the system.
If a Slackware guy gets on a Gentoo box, guess what, they are not very
effective. sure they know _what_ to do, but where?!

LSB not withstanding, all distro's put their configs in different locations
and with different formats. In some cases, the major package has been
compiled with extra patches so that the configs fit into the distro
locations automagically.

A good _modern_ admin doesn't just pull down the source tarball, make
configure, make, make install anymore.

> It matters not whether we're talking about Gentoo or Red Hat.  The
> biggest major difference between the two is the package management
> system, and probably the second biggest major difference between them is
> the init system and its configuration.

EXACTLY! And all of those bits converge in different locations and formats
for every distro.

> It is true that sometimes there are "major" differences that aren't in
> the package or init systems, however those differences are usually
> attributable to things like customizations in the building of
> configuration files.  Some distributions may use a macro system of some
> sort to create the configuration files from a set of files maintained by
> the distribution.

In fact, RHEL uses the same kernel number (for the bean-counters) but
backports all bug-fix and security patches for the life of the product.
That makes for a non-standard process of administration. The admin has to
know what was done and where and how to deal with it.

> Personally, what I would like to see (and don't yet, and don't expect
> to, honestly) is excellent "ad-hoc" configuration support for systems
> that doesn't require in-depth knowledge of each program's configuration
> formats and such, and likewise isn't purposely tied to a single
> distribution.

Once ubunutu falls off the market flavor of the month, then RHEL can finish
the World Domination Tour :-)

Seriously, it can't ever happen. Linux-land is diverse because people
perceive different needs and roll their own. RHEL/Fedora/Debian/Ubuntu are
the generic, one size fits all platforms (I can't see SuSe rising from the
grave it dug itself). Each serves a need. From an admin standpoint,
employment has a greater likelihood if you are skilled in RHEL over all
else combined. Does this mean the beancounters are running the show? Yep.
Doe this make the RHEL process bad? Nope. It does mean that the RHEL way is
more exacting as it's designed for the enterprise. It has tools and
capabilities for a single admin to manage effectively hundreds of different
servers and thousands of similar workstations. And it's the only bunch out
there that's really poised to take over as Redmond declines and Sun/Oracle
becomes a one trick pony. And they play nicely with the open source
process. They buy closed products to bolster their business and then spend
more cash to open those products up and eventually they become fully
community-supported products with an enterprise supported back-end.

>        --- Mike

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky

http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/