[ale] android tables (or tablets)

Robert rs at ale.spam.futz.org
Thu Dec 22 09:36:36 EST 2011

>You might consider a Barnes and Noble NOOK -- especially if the eBook
>features are a plus.

I have both the original B&N Nook color and the Viewsonic GTablet. Both are
rooted and running cyanogenmod. They both have some minor annoyances.

On the software side (ie cyangenmod, affects both tablets), there are
occasional issues with Android Market. It can be a bit tricky getting it
installed, and newer versions of market sometime report that apps are not
compatible. There are workarounds, so it's fine for a geek who is willing to
do a little extra work. Not so good for handing off to someone who just wants
it to work, unless you are going to set it up for them and help with the
occasional app that doesn't work.

Viewsonic GTablet - I haven't found the portrait viewing to be as bad as the
think on the 'button' (e.g. home, back, menu). The are touch sensitive (not
actual buttons, they are completely flush and indistinguisable from any other
part of the edge of the table in the dark), on the side of the screen, and are
not backlit. This makes for lots of accidental presses in the dark, when
rotating the table, or handing it to someone else. I turn on the cyanogenmod
option to have the buttons in the task bar at the top of the screen so I don't
have to hunt for the physical buttons in the dark. I haven't checked, but it
would be nice if there was an option to disable them completely.

It also has a 3rd party dock available, which provides power, a usb port, an
ethernet port, and hdmi out.

Nook color: This just feels well built and solid. It has exactly one button
(not counting volume/power), and it functions as the 'home' button. Again, I
use the option to put software buttons in the taskbar. Normally this is fine,
but there is the occasional app the goes full screen, leaving you without a
way to get to the back or menu keys. The only option being pressing home.
I also have some issues with the screen recognizing touches... I reularly have
trouble trying to 'click' an icon/link on a web page, particulary near the
top/bottom of the screen. I don't know if this is just mine, or if it's a
common issue.

I keep the gtablet on the dock in the kitchen for fast family access to
calendars shared on our phones.  I use the Nook when I am on the go and want
something with a bigger screen than my phone.

btw, the hackers keyboard 'app' is awesome.. especially if you use ssh.. and
it's much easier to use on a tablet, where it won't take up the whole screen
in landscape mode...