[ale] Creating a website (semi-rant)

Rich Faulkner rfaulkner at 34thprs.org
Tue Dec 13 08:58:47 EST 2011

Hand coder here.  Used to work with a free institutional copy of WsFTP,
Notepad and CorelXara in the mid-90's.  Then moved to CorelDraw8 and
eventually 10.  (Yes, I know it's not FLOSS but Corel did release a
FLOSS solution!)

Today I code on gedit and xfer files with gFTP and bareFTP and do use
GIMP and Inkscape but still cling to my beloved Corel (work much faster
there...too many years experience).  Corel Corporation did have a foray
into *NIX with their own distro about 10-years ago.  CorelLinux was
Debian based and included a FLOSS version of Photopaint 8.  It wasn't
the most up-to-date version of the software but it was good stuff and
something I wish I still had my copy of!  (Too bad they ditched the
distro...)  I had troubles trying to run it on my hardware and was way
too young in my IT life to grasp it on my own.

I used to teach HTML 4.0 at New Horizons of Washington, DC as well as
Dreamweaver and Frontpage.  Hate the WYSIWYG editors as they just aren't
worth the effort (IMNSHO) and as such are something that I have avoided
completely.  I have managed web teams that developed portal level sites
and used WYSIWYG tools, but in the end we always worked in raw code.

Mark-up languages are too easy to learn to try avoid; so please forgive
me if I'm chiming in on a wrong note, but I would just learn them,
hand-code and learn the fundamentals of doing graphics.  I have taught
several webmasters the tools of the trade and if I can do it; anyone
can...

PS>  The only thing I use MS product for in my personal life is this:
Silverlight on Firefox for Netflix, Adobe Photoshop CS3 and CorelDraw 10
and all of that on a XP VM running on 11.04.