[ale] filtering/scan web sites

Joshua Kite jwkite at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 12:19:58 EST 2011

What is your definition of "bad sites?"  Do you want to block on content,
or are you looking to just block malware?

I've been running DansGuardian with Squid and the ClamAV plugin with pretty
good results. It's worth noting, though, that there are some performance
variables that need to be configured.   This setup slowed performance,
especially for sites like Youtube, for a while until I figured out the
right tweaks.

The other trick, as you may know, is forcing all traffic through the proxy.
 If you're trying to protect a home network or small office, then you
probably want to make it transparent.  I had great success doing this at my
router which is running dd-wrt.  If you'd just concerned on a personal
level then it's no big deal to configure your browser to use the proxy
server.

If you're really interested I could send you my virtual machine that I run
using KVM.  I haven't been able to shrink the size of the image as much as
I'd like, but it would get you up and running very quickly.

Josh Kite