[ale] HELP - Out of Storage on /

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Fri Dec 9 11:50:29 EST 2011

Your output below shows that /usr and /lib are your biggest offenders.  /lib is fairly static (that is it grows as you add packages but typically doesn't have anything else growing such as output files or logs) so I'd focus on /usr as it has directories like /usr/local and /usr/share that might have logs or other output files that are growing.

cd /usr
du -sk /usr |sort -n
Will sort the output so largest subdirectories appear first.   You can then do the du -sk within each subdirectory to do drill down.

Of course you should look in / itself to be sure it doesn't have any large files.

Another thing to look for is core (memory dump) files.   These can usually be deleted (be sure it is actually a core dump - some things actually create directories named core which are not core dumps).