[ale] raw files in the Gimp

Robert rs at ale.spam.futz.org
Thu Dec 1 13:00:37 EST 2011

>Old camera died.  Got new camera (Nikon -- didn't want to toss a half
>dozen lenses)
>New camera produces RAW files in format <filename.NEF>
>If I open the image in Gimp, only the icon file is available.
>The original image is 12 Mgb (more or less), but the file in Gimp is only
>209 Kb -- 160 x 120 pixels.
>
>So, can The Gimp handle Nikon RAW files?
>
>If so, how do I set it up to do that?
>
>Advice would be appreciated.

I have purchased exactly one non-free program for my Linux box, and it's
Bibble. I do all my raw processing there, and export selected images for
processing with Gimp. It supports pretty much every camera's raw format. I
regularly see updates when new cameras come out.

	http://bibblelabs.com/

The lite version ($99) comes with a license for 1 OS (Windows/Mac/Linux),
the pro version ($199) comes with a license for all three.