[ale] GPG Smartcards

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Thu Dec 1 10:57:58 EST 2011

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Michael B. Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:
> On 11/30/2011 11:39 AM, David Tomaschik wrote:
>> They do... they have the GPF Crypto-stick:
>> http://shop.kernelconcepts.de/product_info.php?cPath=1_26&products_id=133
>> or you can use the SIM breakout feature of the regular smartcard
>> (http://shop.kernelconcepts.de/product_info.php?cPath=1_26&products_id=42)
>> with a reader like this gemalto:
>> http://shop.kernelconcepts.de/product_info.php?cPath=1_26&products_id=119.
>>  I'm going to be doing the latter, so if a new version of smart card
>> comes out, I should be able to replace it without having to pay for
>> the USB bits again.  Alternatively, I could swap out cards or
>> otherwise have multiple uses for the reader.
>
> It looks like the crypto-stick doesn't support more than one key, is
> that right?  I'm having a hard time trying to figure that out.
>
> I know that there is a token I recently met that could hold three
> independent sets of keys, for about $30 US.  The thing is that it
> doesn't work with anything but Windows AFAIK.  But, it presented itself
> as three USB attached smart readers.
>
> Does anyone know if the crypto-stick does that or something similar?
> Does anyone know anyone that has used one of these things?
>
>        --- Mike

The GPF crypto-stick asserts that it supports "all features" of the
OpenPGP card version 2, which supports 3 subkeys, each up to 3072 bits
in length.  The keys are not independent keys, just subkeys (one of
which may be the main key).  Looking at the information on it, it
looks like it uses the same smart card chip that the OpenPGP card
uses, just without the contact pads and card form factor.

Does that help?  I haven't used it myself, obviously.

--
David Tomaschik, RHCE, LPIC-1
System Administrator/Open Source Advocate
david at systemoverlord.com