[ale] budget dual-head advice?

Rich Faulkner rfaulkner at 34thprs.org
Wed Aug 31 12:46:29 EDT 2011

If faced with a choice of PCI-X or AGP I would take AGP any day.  Now
the trick is to find one.  Not much on shelves these days.  Pretty
legacy.

I have a pair if XFX 6800 GS x16 PCIe GPUs that were a major pain in
9.10.  Never got them working the way I wanted them to and wound-up
going to Fedora.  I have since retired that system and gone with a
single GPU Nvidia solution that worked GREAT OOB w/Maverick.  I couldn't
be happier and it was a no-brainer for install/config and in the $40-ish
range from Fry's.

Keep in mind that legacy ATi has less and less support from AMD.  Legacy
Nvidia has (IMHO) been a pain - but will defer to others w/more
experience here.  As cheap as h/w is today I'd look towards going
barebones and build a new system or buy a PCIe based box on the cheap.

Happy Hunting!   Rich in Lilburn