[ale] QEMU Grub boot problem

David Hillman hillmands at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 15:00:42 EDT 2011

I am trying to test out a custom firmware that is supposed to be loaded to a
router board.  The test is done using QEMU.  I...

   1. build the kernel and initrd using the tools from the board
   manufacturer.
   2. used qemu-img to create a raw disk image
   3. mkfs.ext2 to format the image
   4. mounted the image to my Ubuntu filesystem as a loop device
   5. used debootstrap to build a minimal filesystem, plus added tools
   required for the board to run
   6. copied over the kernel and initrd to /boot on the mounted filesystem
   7. chrooted into the system to setup grub menu.1st, etc
   8. exited out of and booted the router system using QEMU

No matter what I do, Grub gives up and throws an error about not being able
to read the filesystem.  I know the ext2 driver is in the initrd.
Manually setting up the partition info and telling Grub to boot from the
prompt gives the same error.

Is there something else I should be looking for?  My understanding of the
Linux boot process might be fuzzy here, plus I am not that familiar with
Grub.
It's what was recommended to test inside QEMU.