[ale] Fstab fails

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Aug 29 11:04:15 EDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 10:04 -0400, Wolf Halton wrote:
> I have been trying to get my nfs thing to work, but it has proven so
> fragile that I am giving up on it.

> So would it make sense to have the configs in a separate place from
> the spot on the local server where they are used, right
> /root/configs          # git repo
> and push them to
> server-00:/configs # home server
> server-01:/configs # 1st remote server
> and so on.
> I don't know how to do it with git and/or puppet.  I have been looking
> at autofs, which is more reminiscent of nfs (but nfs-style mount lines
> fail).  The autofs solution is more aimed at what I think of as
> focus-clusters - 3-server groups that are linked in in their focus -
> for instance, to deliver a specific application suite.

Definitely look closer at autofs.  I use that for almost all NFS work
and, if you're really intent on very dynamic configurations, you can use
network maps or the /net auto directory.  I really use the later pretty
extensively.  You don't even need special configurations to make it work
and you simply open up your shares on your server, which you have to do
anyways!

> I like the "update every five minutes" of puppet.

> Does it make the most sense to have a central puppet server that
> pushes to all the other servers in the network segment, or would it be
> better to have a puppet server on each focus-cluster?

> Wolf

Regards,
Mike