[ale] cron entry that runs the 2nd saturday of every month

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Aug 26 18:45:52 EDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 16:47 -0400, Erik Mathis wrote:
> I ran into this same issue, and iirc cron uses a AND to compare dates.
> I ended up running it every Monday and added a wrapper to the script
> to decide if its the right day to do this function. If not, just exit.

No, there's a gotcha in there.  It uses "AND" to compare time and then
only one of two particular fields (day of month or day of week) have to
be true, so that's an OR.  That's a PITA.

From "man 5 crontab":

==
Note: The day of a command's execution can be specified in the  follow‐
ing two fields — 'day of month', and 'day of week'.  If both fields are
restricted (i.e., do not contain the "*" character), the  command  will
be run when either field matches the current time.  For example,
"30  4  1,15 * 5" would cause a command to be run at 4:30 am on the 1st
and 15th of each month, plus every Friday.
==

The exact opposite of what you want.

I actually have a more complex example that would work if it truly WAS
an AND (and I can think of no useful reason for it being an OR but it
is).

Real world situation.  I have a meeting to take place to take on the
Wednesday following the 2nd Tuesday.  Notice that it is NOT the the
second Wednesday.  One Wednesday out of every 7 will be the third
Wednesday.  So I would need a Wednesday that's on 9-15 (15 being the 3rd
Wednesday with 1 and 8 being the first two).  An AND condition would be
perfect.  Tis not to be.  Thou must script.

> -Erik-

Regards.
Mike