[ale] Happy Birthday Tux!

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 23:10:24 EDT 2011

I did not see it when it happened. I was only introduced to Linux in 1992.

We sure have come a long way!

Heh, heh. Both of my kids sneer at the windows machines at school. Thanks to
that steaming pile of unstable dreck called Windows NT 3.51, I converted
fully to Linux in 1997. While I have had work-supplied dual-boot system,
often with no employer knowledge of my OS installation antics, I have only
used the windows side to do mandatory monthly windows updates and password
changes.

Submitted from my single booting Fedora 15 x86_64 Toshiba laptop with
external happy hacker 2 lite keyboard running kernel 2.6.40.3 on a dual core
Athalon X2 down-clocked to 1.050 GHz so I won't make popcorn at the fan
outlet.

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 7:17 PM, Richard Faulkner <rfaulkner at 34thprs.org>wrote:

> **
> Submitted from my single booting Ubuntu 10.10 hacked-HP xw4600 running the
> "2.6.35-30-generic-pae" Linux Kernel.
>
> Anyone remember this message?

> From:torvalds at klaava.Helsinki.FI (Linus Benedict Torvalds)
> Newsgroup: comp.os.minix
> Subject: What would you like to see most in minix?
> Date: 25 Aug 91 20:57:08 GMT
>
> Hello everybody out there using minix-
>
> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big
> and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones. This has
> been brewing since april, and is starting to get ready. I'd like
> any feedback on things people like/dislike in minix; as my OS
> resembles it somewhat (same physical layout of the file-sytem
> due to practical reasons)among other things.
>
> I've currently ported bash (1.08) an gcc (1.40), and things seem to work.
> This implies that i'll get something practical within a few months, and I'd
> like to know what features most people want. Any suggestions are welcome,
> but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)
>
> Linus Torvalds torvalds at kruuna.helsinki.fi

> HAPPY BIRTHDAY TUX!
>
> Thanks Linus and many happy returns!!
>
> Rich in Lilburn