[ale] VOIP recommendations?

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Tue Aug 23 17:11:33 EDT 2011

On 08/23/2011 04:15 PM, Chris Fowler wrote:
> Please don't try to run 8 calls over residential class DSL to save a
> dime.
>
> If you eliminate POTs you're going to have to beef up your data circuit.
> It also needs to be reliable.
>
> Look into running Asterisk and possible soft phones on their desktop.
> If they travel you can put soft phones on Android and iOS.

I would keep the POTS, but make the inside VoIP and make it possible to
use SIP trunking as a functional add-on to provide "burstable" call
volume if necessary, but not as a primary outlet.  (Least-cost based
routing, though, would be a useful addition to any small business.)

Also, I would advise that you check out both Asterisk and FreeSWITCH.
Asterisk is a PBX system, FreeSWITCH is a lower-level system that aims
to be a phone system switch (and can be built-up into a PBX if desired.)
 I've been using FreeSWITCH for some time now and rather like it.

One thing you might consider doing is if they have a T-line coming in
for telephone service, just take the digital T-line and plug it into a
box running either Asterisk or FreeSWITCH.  That would get rid of the
analog circuits completely and quite likely increase the probability
that call quality will be nice.

As for handsets, the SPA-942 is nice, and there is a front-end for
FreeSWITCH called FusionPBX that can be used to set up provisioning for
those phones (as well as a handful of other phones, you'll want to look
around the 'net for more information).  I've used the provisioning for
an SPA-941 without any problems, but I would not use the 941 in an
office environment as the display can be a bit difficult to read even in
a fully lit office (there is no backlight on the display).

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”