[ale] Linux Netbook Options

Gmail Maillists kbphillips80 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 11:33:40 EDT 2011

I just wanted to let you know, I have an ASUS Eee PC T101MT, which I have upgraded to 2gb ram, and also loaded Linux on (Jolicloud) in a dual-boot with the Win7 starter.

The memory is a basic 1gb so-dimm, pc-6400, I think.  I had pulled it from my dead hp laptop, so didn't know if it would be a match for the Eee PC or not, but both Win7 and Linux recognize it.  If I can figure out how to get a command prompt in this OS, I'll pull some hardware details like lspci/lshw/dmidecode/cpuid if you want to see them.

I did want to also let you know that the touchscreen is working in Linux, although I haven't figured out how to recalibrate it when the screen is rotated with that distro, which makes it's use as a tablet limited thus far.  It does however play 720p flash and non-flash videos pretty well though, both in Linux and Windows, which is somewhat of a surprise given it's netbook status.

My only other complaints thus far is the power cord position - it's on the back rather than sides, and gets in the way when the screen is flipped around; and lack of access to anything other than the dimm slot.  None of the internals are easily accessed except for the single dimm addition, which doesn't even allow access to the 1gb dimm pre-installed.  Also the "gesture control" on the multitouch touchpad doesn't work that well in windows, but the touchpad becomes a regular touchpad in linux, so works well then.

The things I do really like though - the keyboard has chicklet keys which are nicely spaced apart, easier to use than my Dell mini 9 or the Clamcase keyboard I'm typing this on.  The screen has a nice matte sheen, better for reading than the glossy one that many netbooks have.

Kaerka

Sent from my iPad