[ale] Linux Netbook Options

Richard Bronosky richardbronosky at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 08:41:36 EDT 2011

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Eee%20PC%20T101MT&Cat=RAM

These are the guys I trust most. It's their whole business to be right.
On Aug 16, 2011 8:26 PM, "Timothy Sassone" <tsassone at spsu.edu> wrote:
> Hello, my name is Timothy Sassone, and I have a couple quick questions. I
am looking to purchase a new, portable computer to replace my 6-year-old
laptop - ideally something about netbook sized, under $500, and which would
work well with a Linux disto as the only OS. While perusing newegg for
ideas, I ran across one of the "netvertable" systems - Asus Eee PC T101MT
(link below signature). I had considered the Eee Pad Transformer, but
decided against it due to the difficulty in replacing the Android OS with a
full Linux distro, so a netbook/tablet convertible seems a good compromise,
particularly as I've heard good things about Ubuntu's touch-screen support
lately (particularly as of v. 11, though I can't say I've looked into it
much myself as of yet).

> Would this "netvertable" work well with Linux? If so, how difficult would
it be to set up the touch-screen capabilities? If not, do you have any other
suggestions for similar systems (hard price-limit of $500)? Is there
anything else I should know before I purchase the system?

> In addition to the computer itself, I would like to look into upgrading
the RAM to 2GB (comes with 1GB) - I've done this on my desktop already, but,
having also tried to perform repairs on my old laptop, I'm not quite so
confident in my skills there. Would the memory I have linked below work with
the Eee PC T101MT?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230032
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148233