[ale] Linux Netbook Options

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Wed Aug 17 11:35:59 EDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 10:09 PM, Timothy Sassone <tsassone at spsu.edu> wrote:
> This is a wonderful idea - the only issue is that I'm a broke college student without a car, so I can't get very far.  Still, there's several places that may at least have something similar enough for me to test it.  I'll see what I can do.
>However, if someone more experienced with laptop hardware could take a look at that memory for me in the mean time, and let me know if it's the right size/etc I'd really appreciate it.  It all looks right to me, the comments on newegg revealed that, while it would theoretically support DDR3, the slot is actually for DDR2 667, which I believe is what I had posted.

The memory you linked was DDR2, and the specs from the convertible you
linked indicate DDR3.  In my other email, I provided a link to a DDR3
2GB SO-DIMM.

> Also, while I know my desktop allows booting from a USB drive, how likely (or unlikely) is a netbook to offer this same functionality?

I have never seen a Netbook (Google Chromebooks excluded) that would
not boot from USB.  Most have no optical drive, so MUST boot from USB
to boot installation media.

--
David Tomaschik, RHCE, LPIC-1
System Administrator/Open Source Advocate
david at systemoverlord.com