[ale] difference between android and linux ?

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Fri Aug 12 17:15:04 EDT 2011

Mike,

Thanks for the info.  OK, the essence of what you're saying is, Android
is a variant of Linux and Ubuntu (and other similar) are variants of
Linux, but as a practical matter, they're not software compatible.  So,
if I get an Android tablet, I would get apps from the Android
marketplace (if supported) and independent Android websites.  If I get a
Linux tablet, I would apps from it's repositories or independent Linux
websites.  The software from the one would not work on the other type of
platform unless the software specifically mentioned that it works on
Android or Linux respectively.

That brings up a couple of more questions.  Hypothetically, say I get an
ARM9 Android tablet with 512 MB RAM and a 500 MHz processor.  Is it
possible to reflash it to run either Android (as designed) or a variant
of GNU/Linux, and to switch back and forth between the two, so I can do
development and testing either way.  Also, I'm seeing designations of
several types of ARM processors, such as ARM v5, ARM 9, ARM v9, etc.  Do
these variations substantially affect the capabilities of the system and
is it something I need to be worried about.

Sincerely,

Ron