[ale] August meeting presentation

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Tue Aug 9 00:28:33 EDT 2011

How about cross platform C++ development on both Windows (sorry, I said
the "W" word) and Linux with the same tool set including a basic GUI
toolkit.  Apple Mac too, all the merrier.  This is a totally selfish
suggestion.  I want to set up just such an environment so I can learn
C++ and cross develop.  I dual boot Windows and Ubuntu.  I don't have a
Mac.  Sorry, I cannot do the presentation, at least not alone, I need to
be the student.  I'd be willing to help out though.  Here's my tentative
plan:

* editor: VIM, Available on Windows and Linux as far as I know.  A
graphic shell for it would be even better.  EMACS is probably fine too,
but I know exactly 3 VIM commands (insert, delete line, write file), so
I guess I've got a small head start.

* tool set: g++, gdb, make, Pretty sure you can do these on Windows.
Some books I looked at recommend Dev-C++, which I think loads these in
the background.

* GUI toolkit: FLTK, I know it's cross platform.  I don't know how to
set it up for sure with this tool set on either system.  One time
before, when I asked a similar question on the list, someone suggested
WEX or QT.  I'd probably want to start small at first.

* version control: GIT, maybe.  I've never used any of these.

I'd really like to figure out how to make this happen.  I also thought
it'd make a good presentation, since you asked.  I want the setup to be
initially be capable of letting me develop small "toy" programs for
learning.  However, I ultimately want to be able to develop industrial
strength programs.

--------------

Here's a 2nd idea.  I'm really interested in micro embedded Linux
installations which can control small robots, etc.  Just making up some
possible specs, think, 500 MB ram, 500 MHz processor, 4 GB flash, motor
controls, sensors, cameras, wireless telemetry, etc.  By the way, if we
come up with something along these lines, I'm sure the Atlanta Hobby
Robot club would find it quite interesting.  I want to be able to
program this in C++ too, not C.  I have nothing against C, I just don't
want to be learning 2 variants of C at the same time.

Sincerely,

Ron

On 8/8/2011 11:52 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Looking for suggestions....ideas......people.....
>
> Linux controlled rail gun test fire?
> Linux controlled political BS meter? (Nah! Too easy. Look for the open
> mouth.)
> Linux controlled brewing equipment?
>
> Aaron is out of town and I'm the volunteer(ed) presentation finder.

> James P. Kinney III
>
> As long as the general population is passive, apathetic, diverted to
> consumerism or hatred of the vulnerable, then the powerful can do as
> they please, and those who survive will be left to contemplate the
> outcome.
> - ////2011 Noam Chomsky
>
> http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
> ////