[ale] question about ganging routers together

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Mon Aug 1 13:45:23 EDT 2011

Hi guys.  My schedule only lets me get on the list intermittently.  It
takes a bit of time to keep up with all the postings.  I'm going to try
to catch up on the old posts, including any which may have been old
replies to my messages since I was last on a couple of weeks ago.  In
any case, I have a question about ganging routers together.  I hope I
can explain this in a way that makes sense.

I have my main router 192.168.83.1 (LAN address) which connects to the
internet.  I wanted to test another wireless router 192.168.79.1 (LAN
address).  Both routers are set up to provide DHCP service.  I plugged
router 79 into a LAN port on router 83.  I meant to run the cable from
the WAN port on router 79 to the LAN port on router 83.  However, I
actually ran the cable from LAN to LAN port by mistake.  I have
subsequently fixed the mistake, but what they did really confused me, so
I hope some of you can shed some light on it.  While the cables were
wrong, I logged into 79 wirelessly, and proceeded to access the
internet, which worked just fine.  I had expected to get an IP address
from router 79 which would be something like 192.168.79.2, etc.
However, when I tried to access the control panel for 79, I could not.
I ultimately found out that my IP address was coming from 83, and was
something like 192.168.83.2, etc.  I thought, surely I'm not wirelessly
connected to 83.  I verified again that I was connected to 79.  It took
me quite a while to figure out what was wrong.  Once I fixed the cables,
everything was fine, and I got my IP from 79 as I should, and I was able
to access it's control panel.  I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me
what was happening, and why I wasn't getting an IP address from 79 even
though I was logged wirelessly into it.  For that matter, I'm not really
sure how my internet connection was working at all with it wired that
way.  Any ideas are appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ron