[ale] remote x apps crash X11

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Thu Sep 30 06:00:34 EDT 2010

On Wed September 29 2010, Geoffrey Myers wrote:
> All the hardware is intel based.  My mac is not involved in the problem.
>  Basically, an old P4 laptop that I will pull out when I don't want to work
> in my office.  I'll ssh to my work machine so I can run apps on the old
> laptop.

I've been using my wifes laptop for the past month, because I've been stuck in
my lazyboy, recouperating from some massive fractures on my left foot (
wearing a no-weight-bearing boot)..
I've been using NoMachine client on XP, to get to my Debian desktop. It works
great! Sometimes cut & paste doesn't work so good between the laptop &
desktop, but that is a minor issue. Usually I can copy from my desktop email,
and paste it right into the browser on my laptop.
Another minor issue is when you play videos in the web browser on the desktop
through nomachine, the sound comes out on the desktop:) So I usually end up
copying the  link & doing it from the browser on the desktop. Sometimes if it
is a .PPS, or .WMV imbedded in the email I'll winscp it to my laptop.
I even setup a nomachine profile for my static IP, so when I go on vacation I
can still use it...

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800