[ale] Does anybody have experience with a load-balancing/failover distro?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 15:18:17 EDT 2010

schools really need a proxy like squid. One person hits a site and then 30
others hit the same site. Squid will (in this example) cut the used
bandwidth to about 1/30 as the first hit is cached. Saw this in action
during the APS Linux thin client project. bandwidth is scarce in schools and
not having a caching proxy is just a bad idea.

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 1:53 PM, david w. millians <millia at panix.com> wrote:

> On 9/29/2010 10:39 AM, Michael Trausch wrote:
> > While I am quite sure that it would be possible to load-balance with
> > NAT connections, I don't think it would be terribly useful.  I often
> > see a place that will have a high-speed primary link, and a very low
> > speed backup link.  Failover is far more appropriate.
>
> In this case, it will be a... let's see. 4 schools =  a 12 megabit link
> from AT&T, and I *believe* a 10 megabit from their cable operator.
>
> > Now, if some place has two identical links that come in different
> > ways, way, a T1 from place A and a T1 from place B, and there were a
> > way to bond the two together such that they would work as a single
> > virtual pipe and subsequently suffer the failure of one of them, then
> > I think that load-balancing would be quite appropriate.  But I have
> > yet to encounter such a situation, personally.
>
> Well, there is no school district that I know of that really has enough
> bandwidth. Most places, for example, have to block youtube just because
> it kills all the bandwidth. A single school is allocated, with e-rate et
> al, a 3megabit connection with (I think) it currently set at a 20%
> guarantee of service. That could be a 33% though, and in reality most
> schools get pretty close to their full 3 megabits. But, again, that's a
> 3 meg connection for a whole school.
>
> So, if the other connection is anything above 5 megabits, it'll make a
> noticeable difference. Load sharing would be Good.
>
> And as said, I'll do roll-my-own if we need to- I'm just hoping that
> somebody can say, oh yeah, I setup a ClarkConnect/ClearOS box to do just
> that, and thumbs up. Jim's links are good, and appreciated.

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.