[ale] remote x apps crash X11

Sergio Chaves sergio.chaves at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 12:02:59 EDT 2010

Apparently there is a bug with a remote X session running over SSH.
Quick Google search "ssh -x crash local session" provided +-6K results for
infinite amount of distributions.

Interesting links to look at:
http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/ServerDebugging
and
http://linux.die.net/man/5/sshd_config  (sshd man page (5) ).
Looking at the TCPKeepAlive config option, it reads: "Specifies whether the
system should send TCP keepalive messages to the other side. If they are sent,
death of the connection or crash of one of the machines will be properly
noticed. However, this means that connections will die if the route is down
temporarily, and some people find it annoying. On the other hand, if TCP
keepalives are not sent, sessions may hang indefinitely on the server, leaving
''ghost'' users and consuming server resources."

Hope that helps :o)