[ale] GParted & unallocated space

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 10:22:55 EDT 2010

It came with windows. why would anyone want anything different? us corporate
types took your money and sold you what we wanted to you to buy. it worked
just fine. if it doesn't then you need to spend more money with us to make
it even better.

</snark>

In general, it's a good idea to plan on blowing away the "restore" partition
for any dual-boot setup. It can't be used to "restore functionality" to the
machine anyway. Make a restore disk set instead so you have original winders
garbage and the extra bloatware it shipped with parked elsewhere. Then _you_
have control of the drive structure..

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Tim Watts <tim at cliftonfarm.org> wrote:

> Idiots! That's a bit like selling a car with non-reversible lug nuts.
>
> On Mon, 2010-09-27 at 07:17 -0400, Jim Philips wrote:
> > That's my problem. HP, in its wisdom, decided that the disk needed
> > four primary partitions to do all of the crap they find necessary.
> > Aside from the main partition, I have Tools, System and Recovery. I'm
> > about ready to create a recovery disk and just kill the Recovery
> > partition.
> >
> > On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 9:13 PM, Tim Watts <tim at cliftonfarm.org>
> > wrote:
> >         How many primary partitions are currently on the disk? You can
> >         only have
> >         4 primary partitions on a disk.
> >

> >         On Sun, 2010-09-26 at 21:03 -0400, Jim Philips wrote:
> >         > I can't create a partition in that space either. Fedora says
> >         there is
> >         > no space (always shows it as 0 megabytes). Ubuntu also
> >         refuses to
> >         > allow me to do anything with the space, flagging it as
> >         "unusable".
> >         > I've been installing Linux off and on for fifteen years.
> >         This is just
> >         > something I haven't encountered before.
> >         >
> >         > On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 7:10 PM, Brian Pitts
> >         <brian at polibyte.com>
> >         > wrote:
> >         >         On 09/25/2010 09:00 PM, Jim Philips wrote:
> >         >         > Let me get this straight: Are you saying Ubuntu
> >         installed to
> >         >         unallocated
> >         >         > space without formatting? I couldn't install,
> >         because
> >         >         GParted refused to
> >         >         > format that space.
> >         >
> >         >
> >         >         Again, you can't format unallocated space. You have
> >         to create
> >         >         a
> >         >         partition, then format the partition. Can you create
> >         a new
> >         >         partition? If
> >         >         not, how many partitions are there already?
> >         >
> >         >         --
> >         >         All the best,
> >         >         Brian Pitts
> >         >         _______________________________________________
> >         >
> >         >
> >         >         Ale mailing list
> >         >         Ale at ale.org
> >         >         See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at
> >         >         http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo
> >         >
> >         >
> >         > Ale mailing list
> >         > Ale at ale.org
> >         > See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at
> >         > http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo
> >

> >         ________
> >         One can always be kind to people about whom one cares nothing.
> >         -- Oscar Wilde

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.