[ale] Status 302 instead of 405 HTTP

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Fri Sep 24 14:05:04 EDT 2010

Nessus picked up TRACE/TRACK vulnerability in a recently loaded web
server.

The fix is to either (old) add ReWrite rules or (new) add "TraceEnable
off" to the httpd.conf.   (I did the latter.)

On delving into this I found a couple of articles that suggest I should
be able to see the vulnerability doing a telnet to the web server as
shown below.   Instead I'm getting a 302 due to an existing ReWrite rule
that redirects all traffic to a specific web page on the server.
Obviously Nessus is seeing beyond the rewrite and getting the
information.   Is there something I could do in a telnet session that
would let me see beyond it?   (The idea being to test it myself before
and after the change to httpd.conf without having to run a full Nessus
scan.)

telnet 127.0.0.1 80
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to 127.0.0.1.