[ale] Linux distro for internet radio station

Richard Faulkner rfaulkner at 34thprs.org
Tue Sep 21 11:59:19 EDT 2010

Hey Joe --

I'm behind in reading posts (what else is new) so don't know if anyone
else has answered with this yet or not...

Back when I was an engineer at XM Radio in DC we worked with this and
used ShoutCAST as the platform.  We used it on XP builds on IBM desktops
for doing remote broadcasting...the most notable was the ISDN back-up we
provided for Live Earth on 7/7/07 in LA.  That became one of my pet
projects and was a great solution for streaming content to the web.  It
takes little time to set-up and you can have a stream going in no time
at all.  Best of all it runs on Linux!

http://www.shoutcast.com/

I just shipped an IBM SFF to a buddy in Ellicott City, MD who wants to
do the same thing.  That box is dual-booting XP and 9.10...XP since
that's what he's used to and Ubuntu as that's what he's moving to
full-time.  Ubuntu includes DJ software that directly integrates and
supports Icecasting (or so they say -- haven't tried it yet myself.)

I too am in the process of building a webcast format and am laying the
ground-work for that now.  Much to do and I'm far-off from a launch date
but I do have the hardware and facilities.  Need to get the licensing
and record service and I'll be much further down the garden path!

If you want a distro that really caters to media production you should
take a look at 64 STUDIO.  It's Debian based and packed with
tools...also has a live build if you want to test drive.

http://www.64studio.com/

Also check-out Ubuntu Studio.  I have not used it and know nothing of it
but can guess...

http://ubuntustudio.org/

Cheers!

Rich in Lilburn