[ale] Hello World - in C# - in Mono - in Ubuntu is done

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Sun Sep 19 21:00:41 EDT 2010

Wolf,

Thanks.  I also thought the discussion was interesting.  Although I've had
lots of programming training in school and past careers, the mountain of
knowledge required has been steadily growing.  Here's what I've discovered
that I need to learn in addition to the basics of the language, that I've
never learned before:

- Object Orientation
- GUI
- Multi Threading / Multi Processing
- Web Site Programming
- SQL
- Encryption / Security
- Exceptions
- Debugging - I've done some before, but every language and development
environment is different.
- Performance Profiling
- Unit Testing
- Design Patterns
- Algorithms - Before, I just made up my own, except for things like
standard bubble sort, etc.
- Packaging / Distribution

I think the task of becoming a programmer is 10 X harder than when I've
done it in the past.  It's actually very intimidating.  I just have to jump
in and start.  Once I get a decent handle on one language, I hope to learn
others.  I may call you privately about how to get this done.  You're the
only one I know who's teaching this stuff.

Ron

At 9/18/2010 06:25 PM -0400, Wolf wrote:
>Ron
>I am glad you are on this list.  The question of "to C# or not to C#" has
>been a very interesting one with quite a number of dimensions to it.
>
>If I had an opinion, I would say, "Learn C#, because that is what you want
>to learn.  Learn Python for how quickly you can prototype stuff in it.  I
>agree that C is a useful language, especially for embedded systems, and
>for its cross-platform-by-design aspects.  After you have a handle on
>programming generally and can see the underlying basis for stuff, look
>into cobol.  I know a person who had zero programming experience and a
>semester of cobol who got $30K part-time job fixing Y2K stuff.  You are
>better off in the smaller pool of higher-paying job reqs than in a larger
>pool of lower-paying jobs."  This is also why I suggest my students
>(mostly) specialize in the Unix/Linux side of things.  Windows system
>engineers are more commonly available, and I think that pushes the price down.
>
>-Wolf

[snipped]