[ale] Linux distro for internet radio station

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Sat Sep 18 22:23:36 EDT 2010

I was looking into doing a podcast myself for a while.  Turns out I just
don't have the time.  Some of the following links might be helpful.  These
are only a few of the links you could explore.

This is more oriented toward end users, but might provide good related data:

http://linuxmce.com/
http://www.twit.tv/floss133 - LinuxMCE

Leo Laporte is the king of Internet Radio.  You might want to learn how he
does things.

http://www.twit.tv/
http://www.twit.tv/huh
http://live.twit.tv/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcasting
http://wiki.twit.tv/wiki/Main_Page
http://leoville.com/

For general information, where they may talk about podcasting technology
occasionally, listen to:

This Week In Tech - http://www.twit.tv/twit
The Tech Guy - http://www.twit.tv/ttg
Home Theater Geeks - http://www.twit.tv/htg

FLOSS Weekly - (Free Libre and Open Source Software) - They talk about
specific Open Source programs, some of which might be of use for your purpose.

http://www.twit.tv/FLOSS
http://www.twit.tv/floss135 - Webcam studio - Streaming (Haven't heard this
myself yet.)
http://www.twit.tv/floss86 - Ardour - Digital Audio Workstation
http://www.twit.tv/floss68 - Lumiera - Video Editing
http://www.twit.tv/floss42 - Audacity - Audio Editing

Sourcetrunk - Another Open Source Software podcast.  He also loves to
explore new types of beer on the air.

http://www.sourcetrunk.com/
http://www.sourcetrunk.com/podcasts/sourcetrunk_059.mp3 - Episode about
GPodder.

Check Borders, Barnes & Noble, Amazon for numerous books on Podcasting,
Netcasting, and possibly Audio / Video Streaming.  Here are some titles,
but they may be a bit dated.

How to Do Everything with Podcasting
http://www.amazon.com/How-Everything-Podcasting-Shel-Holtz/dp/0072263946/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284862488&sr=1-1

Podcasting Hacks: Tips and Tools for Blogging Out Loud
http://www.amazon.com/Podcasting-Hacks-Tips-Tools-Blogging/dp/0596100663/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284862794&sr=1-1

Podcasting Bible
http://www.amazon.com/Podcasting-Bible-Mitch-Ratcliffe/dp/0470043520/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284862867&sr=1-1

Tricks of the Podcasting Masters
http://www.amazon.com/Tricks-Podcasting-Masters-Rob-Walch/dp/0789735741/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284862933&sr=1-1

Here's somewhere you could store files to be streamed.  Be aware of
bandwidth limitations and charges, not only for what you stream, but for
your RSS feeds.  Let's say you generate a 1 hour show which is a 50 MB MP3
file.  If it becomes popular and 10,000 people download it, that's 500 GB
of data just for the one show.  Your RSS feed is your ongoing catalog for
the show.  It's text, and may stay small for a while.  Say it's 1 KB.  If
people have their RSS reader checking your feed for new entries 4 times /
hour, like mine does for the podcasts I'm interested in, that's 2880 checks
/ month / customer.  If you had 10,000 customers, that's another 28.8 GB of
data transfer if I did the math right.  Look for someone that charges you
little to minimum for storage, or nothing.  Look for someone that does NOT
charge for bandwidth.

http://libsyn.com/

One of the biggest Internet radio streaming sites, for music, is
Pandora.  Find out how they do things.  Be aware, they have to pay huge
licensing fees to broadcast most music.  You would too unless it's "podcast
safe".

http://pandora.com/

A site that caters to live telephone calls.

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/main.jsp?pushNav=1&cmd=home

Help with RSS feeds.

http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/home

Poscast readers or catchers.

http://www.rssowl.org/
http://gpodder.org/

Podsafe images, sounds, videos.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Sound

Podcast about podcasting.

http://podcastanswerman.com/

These podcasts have a section specifically about the way they produce the
podcast.

http://dl.fullcirclemagazine.org/podcast/fullcirclesidepod_ep1_300510.mp3
http://dl.fullcirclemagazine.org/podcast/full_circle_sidepod_ep2_180610.mp3
http://dl.fullcirclemagazine.org/podcast/full_circle_sidepod_ep3_040910.mp3

A Linux podcast which routinely does live teleconferences.  Occasionally
they talk about how they're doing it.

http://www.linuxbasix.com/

Software for conducting free / cheap telephone calls via Voice Over the
Internet Protocol - VOIP.  Can be used for multi-party calls and for video
calls.

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/home

That should get you started.  8-)

Ron