[ale] Hello World - in C# - in Mono - in Ubuntu is done

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Sat Sep 18 15:53:27 EDT 2010

(I've used this to reply to several messages.  To all - I guess a started a
bit of a firestorm with this thread.  I can see that everyone is very
passionate about programming languages.  To paraphrase a cliche, put 50
engineers in a room, ask a question, and you'll get 150 answers.  I
certainly didn't mean to offend anyone with anything said.  Thanks for all
the information that you've shared.  It's been very informative.  Thanks to
all those who wished me well in my efforts.  Anyone else wishing to follow
along with my and Justin's activities in learning cross platform C#, drop
me a note at Ron Frazier <linuxdude at c3energy.com> .)

(Richard Faulkner  - from 09/17/10 - Thanks for the well wishes. - Ron)
(Steve Brown - from 09/17/10 - My comments to Brian below also relate to
your note.  Thanks for the post. - Ron)
(Michael B. Trausch - from 09/16/10 - Your comments were very helpful in
learning about the attributes of various languages. - Ron)

(William Fragakis - I've included a reply to your note from 09/17/10 at the
bottom.)
(Jim Kinney - I've included a reply to your note from 09/17/10 at the bottom.)

--------------------------

Brian,

You bring up some good points.  From a career point of view, I probably
still want to go with learning C#.  My wife tells me that the GS-12 pay
scale government job somebody mentioned in another note translates to about
$ 80 grand / year.  Now, right now, even with past programming experience,
I'm not qualified.  But, in the future, I'd be quite happy to make that
kind of money.

The Free Software Foundation link you mentioned certainly brings up some
serious concerns about the patent landscape for C# and using it on non
Windows platforms.  By the way, they also linked to another site devoted to
eliminating software patents - http://swpat.org/ which looked interesting
in the few minutes I spent on it.  Even if I eventually get a job
programming C#, I might have to think twice before releasing any C#
applications on my own on non Windows platforms.  The link to the Java
community process was interesting, although I only read it briefly.  I
wasn't aware of it.

You may be right about it not being likely that a non Windows shop will
hire me to program C#.  I'm OK with that.  Being able to also work with
Linux and / or Mac would be nice, but I'm primarily interested in those
aspects in regards to creating my own cross platform applications.  From
the reading I've been able to do, I'm drawn to C# not only for money
opportunities but for the features of the language.

 From what I can tell, there is no modern, medium-high performance, object
oriented, multi-threaded, multi-core capable language in wide use that is
not encumbered by patents.  That's very discouraging.  This Oracle
acquisition of Sun still really bugs me.  I couldn't imagine another
company that could have bought them which would be more antithetical to the
ideals of Sun.  It makes me really nervous about the whole Java and Android
landscape.

In regard to my comment about self contained free standing applications, I
may be about to show my ignorance here, but here's what I meant.  In the
"old" days in DOS and Windows, you could (if you designed a program this
way) create a program in source code, compile, and link it, drop it in a
folder as an EXE (executable), maybe add a few DLL's, and run it.  You
could easily transport it somewhere else.  You could easily delete
it.  Becasue the JRE has to be installed for any Java program to run, I
don't think you can do this with Java.  I thought you could still do this
with C#, but I'm not sure.  Now, since neither one of these is compiling to
machine code, I don't know what's required to package and distribute a C#
or Java application.  But, my desire would be for it to have the attributes
I just described.

Sincerely,

Ron

------------------------------

On 09/17/10 William Fragakis wrote:

 > Just curious - what is the income distribution for these? Your income
 > potential is not only related to the number of openings but the salary
 > level for those openings as alluded to by the COBOL comment elsewhere.

William, thanks for wishing me good luck.  I'm afraid I cannot answer your
question.  I just did a really brief search on Monster.  Also, most job ads
don't post wages anyway.  We might have to look elsewhere for that data.

Ron

----------------------------

On 09/17/10 Jim Kinney wrote:

 > If you're only going learn one language learn python. It meets your
requirements as well as the 3 you discussed and it's a fully open language.

Jim, I don't know much about Python.  Intellectually and academically, I'm
interested in a number of languages, C#, Java, Ruby, Perl, Python, PHP,
etc.  At the moment, I have to put my career goals at the top, and look for
wide usage, job opportunities, and language features.  I have a family
situation which requires me to go from being between jobs to earning decent
money within 1 year.  I've been doing troubleshooting, maintenance, and
install work all my professional life, with the exception of a few years of
programming.  I really want to move into something which uses my
creativity.  Hence the emphasis on programming.

Since Ruby, Perl, Python, and PHP are all interpreted, to my knowledge, I'd
think their performance would be less than C# and Java.  Please don't flame
me if that's wrong.  Other than that, Ruby looked enticing enough that I
bought a book on it.

Ron