[ale] Hello World - in C# - in Mono - in Ubuntu is done

steve@brown.name scbrown3 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 10:30:07 EDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 9:29 AM, Richard Faulkner <rfaulkner at 34thprs.org>wrote:

> All the best to you Ron!  (Note: I'm writing this in plain text!)
> (hehehe) -- couldn't resist Chris...

Secret message passing:

:D

I can only echo what others have said; if you're going the C# route, you are
most likely going to get stuck at a MS-only shop. Using non-MS stuff is
going to much more of a pain, just as it's a pain for other
non-MS-sanctioned languages to work with MS stuff (ex. Active Directory).
I'm not saying it's impossible by any means, but it feels like MS goes out
of their way to make it harder. The Java jobs I have had have been
heterogeneous as far as the developer's OS goes (OSX, Winders, Linux).
Windows may have a larger desktop share, but the enterprise Java (and other
non-MS-sanctioned languages) applications run on Linux. I guess it depends
on what kind of applications you want to write.

As far as the Oracle vs Google thing goes, this was always looming over
Google. The J2ME platform is how Sun/Oracle makes their money off of Java,
and Google did some trickery to get around this so that there wouldn't be
J2ME licensing costs for their Android platform. So now Oracle's anger rises
with the popularity of Android. I expect Google did their homework on this
one and hopefully they come out on top.

I think the Java community is more concerned with the slow pace of
development for the next Java release than they are with the Oracle vs
Google case. From the ajug list, it seems Oracle is more dedicated to this
than Sun was.

C# does have some nice features that Java doesn't have, my personal fav
being closures, but Groovy gives me my fix when it comes to that.

Whatever direction you choose, good luck and have fun!
-Steve Brown