[ale] Hello World - in C# - in Mono - in Ubuntu is done

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Fri Sep 17 08:00:28 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-16 at 22:25 -0400, Ron Frazier wrote:
> Aaron,
>
> I would have hoped for a more informative and less divisive reply from
> you.  However, I have no desire to start an argument.  8-)  If you type C#
> vs C++ vs Java into Google, you get about 2.5 million results.  So,
> obviously, it's a hot debate.  Instead of trying to read or summarize them,
> I'll just give my take on the issue.
>
> First and foremost, I want the knowledge I'm trying to acquire to make me
> money.  These Wikipedia articles talk about market share:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Windows - Windows - ~ 91%
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh#Software - Mac OS - ~ 10%
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux - Linux Server - ~ 20% - 40%, Linux
> Desktop - ~ 5%
>
> A quick and dirty search on the Monster job board within 200 miles of
> Atlanta yields:
>
> C++ - 11 jobs
> C# - 57 jobs
> Java - 106 jobs

Just curious - what is the income distribution for these? Your income
potential is not only related to the number of openings but the salary
level for those openings as alluded to by the COBOL comment elsewhere.
The salary level will indicate not only how highly prized the skill set
is but also the number of available candidates. It may be that you've
already taken this into account but worth mentioning for others with
less experience who may, at some point, way career options.

Good luck,
William

[other stuff snipped]