[ale] Dropbox opinions wanted

Geoffrey Myers lists at serioustechnology.com
Thu Sep 16 12:00:02 EDT 2010

On 09/16/2010 10:26 AM, Preston Boyington wrote:
> James Sumners wrote:
>> I'm not sure about that. I know that the latest version syncs directly
>> across the LAN if possible. But copying from the greater database?
>> Hmmm.
>
> I see this in the "Getting Started" pdf I found in my Dropbox folder:
>

> Dropbox is fast! How could it have possibly synced all of my
> files in that time?
>
> Dropbox will look to see if it already has the file you’re uploading on
> our servers before it uploads it. If it recognizes a file that has
> already been uploaded, it won’t bother to upload it again. If the file
> has been changed recently, it will only upload/download the changes
> rather than the whole thing.

I guess they should specify that if the find the file in their global
repository, then they won't copy it.  Point being, they should be up
front in telling you they'll look at your stuff for the sake of
expediency when updating other folk's stuff.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

the pretense of taking care of them."
- Thomas Jefferson