[ale] LAMP performance

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Mon Sep 13 16:31:29 EDT 2010

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 15:11:24 -0400
Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 2:51 PM, mike barnes <mdb3624 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I have been asked to come up with a solution for a 6 sigma
> > application that can have up to 1 million transaction/hour.
>
> 300 transactions a second.  Seems doable, but obviously high
> performance.

That's a tough question to answer because we don't know what is
actually involved in each transaction.

> I wonder about SSDs.  They can only handle a fixed number of
> transactions per lifetime.  They use wear-leveling to smooth it out,
> but a 128KB erase block can typically only take 50,000 writes per
> lifetime.
>
> Does anyone know if that ends up being a real world limitation or not?
>
> At a minimum I'd want to research that aspect.  But I suspect new
> generation SSDs will handle it fine.

Current generation SSDs should do fine.  I've read that Intel's X25 is
supposed to be able to do continuous writes for the period of the
warranty before it will fail.  I don't know if the math actually
supports that or not but the amount of real world writes you can put an
X25 through are definitely huge.

I think the biggest trick they use is the fact that 5-15% of the drive
isn't actually addressable (depending on make/model).

> > P --> Latest
> > Issues that I think I need to consider
> > Application level --> Data cacheing, bytecode cacheing
> > Database --> large memory foot print to hold most of database to
> > alleviate disk IO
>
> SSD "reads" are not resource intensive and don't shorten the lifetime
> at all, aiui.  So I'm not sure you should pay both for a large memory
> foot print and SSDs.
>
> ie. a fast SSD may be able to handle 25,000 read io's a second, so it
> should be able to keep up with 300 transactions/second even if most of
> the db is not ram resident.

The X25M in my laptop can pull off 16,000 seeks per second.  I have
never tested writes per second, though.

I do have Bonnie++ results in front of me from one of my older SATA
RAID 10 arrays (four 400 GB 7200 RPM disks).  They only managed 326.2
seeks per second.

> > What am I missing?

How large is the dataset?  Nothing says fast seeks like a dataset than
fits in RAM.  Memory is pretty cheap!  I know servers with 32 gig of
ram are quite cheap.  If your database fits in that you're golden :)

Pat