[ale] Ubuntu Linux Defrag EXT4

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Mon Sep 13 13:29:53 EDT 2010

On Mon September 13 2010, Ron Frazier wrote:
> A few people mentioned corrupting a Linux / Unix HDD by running utilities
> while the partition is mounted.  When I run chkdisk on my Windows system in
> read / write mode, it pops up a dialog that says it can't run the test now
> because the system is in use.  It offers an option to run the test the next
> time I reboot, and I click yes or no.  Linux should offer me the same
> courtesy, in my opinion.

it does.. I've had to wait many times after a reboot, while it checks the file
systems... MOST things like that get done on reboot, which is like init
1/windows SAFE mode. You can always log in as root ( on alt-F1) and bring it
down to single user, and run all that stuff.. I only did it while it was
running because I ASSUMEd it would only report, and NOT try to FIX
anything :-0)
I only attempted that because I have multiple redundant backups:)
and I'm crazy!

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800