[ale] [TOTALLY OT] Comfort foods

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Mon Sep 13 10:57:21 EDT 2010

When I was a teen I worked at a mom and pop grocery store owned by second generation Polish-Americans.   The boss would go periodically and get kielbasa from a local smokehouse to be resold.   Eating that stuff fresh out of the smokehouse was heaven.  It never seems to be quite as good after it get cold and cooked.

I don't know about "comfort foods" but when I really feel hungry at work I find a Snicker's bar truly does seem to hit the spot.  It seems to have the right combination of carbs (chocolate and caramel) and protein (peanuts).  Whenever I tell others that I always feel like I'm in a commercial.

At Cisco they kept free sodas/teas/coffees/juices/flavored bottled water etc... and free microwave popcorn so I'd hit that fairly often if I wanted a snack.  There's nothing quite so "comforting" as "free".