[ale] IPs

Rett Addy gtrett at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 15:54:58 EDT 2010

  I tried to access grc.com and Trend Micro Antivirus is blocking access
and reporting it as a bad site.  Anyone have any idea why?

Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 22:35:54 -0400
From: Ron Frazier<atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com>
Subject: Re: [ale] IPs
To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts - Yes! We run Linux!<ale at ale.org>,
	"Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts - Yes! We run Linux!"<ale at ale.org>

I don't think the ip can be spoofed if a valid connection is established
since tcp/ip requires a 3 way handshake.  If the sender doesn't require a
valid connection, then I guess the IP can be spoofed.

FYI, if I go to grc.com and start his shields up test (simulated attack and
port scan), before I even start it, it pops up this message:

Your Internet connection's IP address is uniquely associated with the
following "machine name":

c-76-97-157-166.hsd1.ga.comcast.net

So, he not only knows I'm in GA, he knows my ISP.  Not sure how that's done.

Ron