[ale] Ubuntu Linux Defrag EXT4

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Sat Sep 11 17:15:06 EDT 2010

Hello all.

At the risk of starting a big conflict,

1) Does Ubuntu 10.04 running EXT4 file system generally need defragmenting
and optimizing (moving files to a faster part of the drive)?

2) If so, how often and how do you do so without copying all your files to
another partition and back again?

I just defragged and optimized a couple of Vista volumes and they seemed to
really need it.  Prior to that, when I shut down Vista on my son's laptop,
I could listen to the hard drive and hear it seeking continuously for many
minutes.  I haven't repeated the test, but it's got to be better now.

I'll probably be mostly an observer in this discussion since I know very
little about Linux file systems.  Thanks in advance for replies.

Ron