[ale] weird mouse problem

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 14:23:53 EDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 1:45 PM, Jim Lynch <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com>wrote:

> On 09/09/2010 01:51 PM, Brian Pitts wrote:
> > On 09/09/2010 01:11 PM, Jim Lynch wrote:
> >
> >> Not even that.  Ubuntu 10.04 doesn't display video out of the box
> >> without installing codecs that a novice user would have no idea about.
> >> No reasonable documentation either.
> >>
> > If you tried to play a video that there are codecs packaged for in
> > Ubuntu, and you weren't automatically prompted to install the codes when
> > you opened the video in Totem (GNOME's movie player), please file a bug.
> [0]
> >
> In one case, it did prompt me to install the codec but it didn't work,
> it's been too long since so I can't recall the details.  It either
> couldn't find the codec, failed to install for some reason or even after
> the codec was installed, it still didn't work.  I
> > If you don't think the documentation available through the Help entry
> > under the System menu (or online [1]) isn't good enough, you can file a
> > bug about that too [2] (or even join the documentation team [3] if
> > you're ambitious).
> >
> A novice user can't even define codec,  much less know to look in the
> docs for the answers, especially when his experience with the "other"
> system didn't require anything special, it just worked.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I've been running Linux since 0.12 kernel in '91 and
> am 100% behind it.  I've been working on computers since the mid '60s
> and if I get frustrated sometimes, think what a first time user of Linux
> might think.  A year ago I thought Linux was ready for the desktop, but
> since then I've attempted Kubuntu, Ubuntu and Centos desktop

ouch! RedHat/Centos on the desktop is a kludge even with EPEL repo. Fedora
on the desktop actually works. Add the rpmfusion free and non-free repos and
lastly add the libdvdcss from livna (the only file hosted there - it allows
playing encrypted commercial DVDs)

> installs
> where things just didn't work well.  In some cases I was able to work
> around or fix the problem, in the case of Kubuntu, I filed a bug which
> is still being looked at an prevents me from logging in with no workaround.
>
> > I know it can be annoying to hear someone say "it should work, file a
> > bug", but if the technical users take a few minutes to do this then the
> > experience should get better for the novice users.
> >
> I'm somewhat guilty of that, it's true.
> > [0] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-codec-install
> > [1] https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/musicvideophotos/C/video-playback.html
> > [2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs/
> > [3] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.