[ale] weird mouse problem

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Thu Sep 9 11:40:17 EDT 2010

On Thu September 9 2010, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Actually, I consider average use to include information access using a
> browser, email, digital camera image storage and processing, letter
> writing, budget work using special accounting tools as well and basic
> spreadsheets, simple database tools for addressbooks, recipes, etc., and
> the like. All of this is easily done within a modern distro designed for
> the desktop user. Even Ubuntu users can do it <snark!> with the patches
> from the Fedora crowd </snark!> (we all benefit with a problem is fixed.
> just gotta poke fun at the newest "darling of the linux crowd" cause it
> doesn't install on 90% of the hardware I've tested it on)

the problem is, there are people that WANT to use computers, but just don't
get it.. I was just at a friends house this morning. He is 70+ years old, yet
he is a certified Honda mechanic ( motorcycles..) He rides a Gold Wing. He
called because his printer wasn't working ( so he said). He had 85 items in
his printer queue. He said " I thought if I kept trying, eventually it would
print". He had Office 2003 demo installed, and when he clicked on a *.doc it
asaked to install some Office files from the CD he no longer had. So I
emptied his printer queue, uninstalled Office, Installed OpenOffice 3.2.1 (
just happened to bring it with me on a usb STICK), printed his doc, said
goodby & went home. He was thrilled. He has a Logitec web cam sitting there,
and he mentioned that he never did get that working, but I'll save that for
another trip..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800