[ale] editdns.net changing hands

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Wed Sep 8 18:53:15 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 21:39 -0400, Richard Faulkner wrote:
> Since we've been talking about the end of the ATI brand name I thought
> I'd chip in this piece of news...
>
> EditDNS - http://www.editdns.net (once a free solution for DNS hosting
> and recently turned for fee -- $5 monthly) has announced that they are
> transferring their operations to another company.  I have been using
> their services for about a year and have been very happy with what
> started as a free service.  Even at $5 it was cheap enough I didn't
> mind
> supporting their work.
>
> I may stay with them, I may look elsewhere but thought I'd chip that
> in
> just-in-case anyone here has used them in the past.

If you're just looking for a little free DNS hosting, you might check
out Hurricane Electric, http://www.tunnelbroker.net,
https://dns.he.net/.  Account is free (get your IPv6 certification while
your at it) and they will host up to 50 domains (forward and reverse).
They also have a provision for acting as a slave to one of your
authoritative name servers as well has hosting all the master records.
They have 5 geographically dispersed public name servers.  I don't think
they're supporting dynamic DNS yet and if you want DNSSEC, you'll need
to go the slave route, at least for the next few months.

> Rich in Lilburn

Mike