[ale] Ubuntu for Education - want to help?

arxaaron arxaaron at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 18:28:01 EDT 2010

On 2010/09/06, at 12:37 , Brian Pitts wrote:

> On 09/06/2010 11:36 AM, Sergio Chaves wrote:
>> Hi "Alers",
>>
>> I got involved with the folks at World Computer Exchange -
>> http://www.worldcomputerexchange.org , which provides recycled PCs to
>> communities in the US and around the world, all in a volunteer basis.
>>
>> As I understand, there is 01 volunteer here in Atlanta. They would
>> like to
>> create a Chapter here in Atlanta to help expand their Volunteer base.
>> I am pasting below a snippet of the communication sent to me. If
>> interested,
>> please contact me off-list.

The letter you got does mention Ubuntu installs, but after extensively
searching
their web site I don't see where there is any up front commitment from
this WCE
corporation for using any FLOSS (let alone commitment to exclusively
using
FLOSS) on the computer systems they distribute.  The fact that their
brochures are only available as proprietary .doc files instead of
publicly
distributable .pdf raises some question marks for me about their
mindset.

> Hi Sergio,
>
> Although what World Computer Exchange does is great, personally I
> think
> that there is enough need right here in Georgia. At Free IT Athens we
> get requests for computers from all over the state; people sometimes
> travel hours to get them from us. If you're looking to volunteer in
> this
> area you may want to get in touch with Randall Kent, one of the
> organizers behind Jumpstart IT Atlanta.
>
> http://www.jumpstartitatlanta.com/
>
> --
> All the best,
> Brian Pitts

I just got an email back from Jumpstart people.  We're trying to set up
a lunch meeting for this week to see where they are at and how we
might  work with them and support any use of FLOSS they are doing.

Thanks for the lead on them, Brian!

peace
aaron