[ale] weird mouse problem

Jim Philips briarpatch.jim at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 19:48:36 EDT 2010

The issue with ondemand governor is a known kernel bug that affects older
processors, like mine. But I can't say that it directly affects mouse
operations. I did manager to get to the Xorg log and saw something
interesting:

(II) config/udev: Adding input device Logitech USB Trackball
(/dev/input/event4)
(**) Logitech USB Trackball: Applying InputClass "evdev pointer catchall"
(**) Logitech USB Trackball: always reports core events
(**) Logitech USB Trackball: Device: "/dev/input/event4"
(II) Logitech USB Trackball: Found 9 mouse buttons
(II) Logitech USB Trackball: Found relative axes
(II) Logitech USB Trackball: Found x and y relative axes
(II) Logitech USB Trackball: Configuring as mouse
(**) Logitech USB Trackball: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Logitech USB Trackball: EmulateWheelButton: 4, EmulateWheelInertia: 10,
EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Logitech USB Trackball" (type:
MOUSE)
(II) Logitech USB Trackball: initialized for relative axes.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device Logitech USB Trackball
(/dev/input/mouse1)
(II) No input driver/identifier specified (ignoring)
(II) config/udev: Adding input device Macintosh mouse button emulation
(/dev/input/event2)
(**) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Applying InputClass "evdev pointer
catchall"
(**) Macintosh mouse button emulation: always reports core events
(**) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Device: "/dev/input/event2"
(II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Found 3 mouse buttons
(II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Found relative axes
(II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Found x and y relative axes
(II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Configuring as mouse
(**) Macintosh mouse button emulation: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Macintosh mouse button emulation: EmulateWheelButton: 4,
EmulateWheelInertia: 10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Macintosh mouse button emulation"
(type: MOUSE)

The Logitech mouse is the one I have. I have no idea how the Macintosh
entries got there. I have never owned such a mouse nor configured for that
button emulation.