[ale] Can we make it better? Was --> Bloody MS EULA Changes Effecting Our Choice

wolf at wolfhalton.info wolf at wolfhalton.info
Mon Oct 18 06:10:03 EDT 2010

Paul,

An LLC is not usually publicly traded, is it?
I have a C Corp and it is employee owned (counting me, it is 100%
employee owned).
I don't think we are the kind of blood-sucking parasites Aaron is
fomenting against.

I am seriously working up ways to have the company or some collection of
companies start doing the stuff for FOSS projects that they are
traditionally bad about, like PR, advertising and appealing to the
masses who are unused to self-serve at the level to which we are all
accustomed.

I read an article recently by Red Hat's Business Development manager (I
think) that suggested that we focus hard on reliability and value rather
than cheap, free stuff, since corporate CIOs expect to pay money for
what they get, but reliability and quality are far more important to
them, and are easier for them to pitch to the CFO than just "free."

Wouldn't it be cool if we had a bunch more people developing the printer
drivers and so on to make all distros work smoother out of the box, and
wouldn't it be cool if we had more people writing articles about the
value and reliability of FOSS software and the security and ease of use?
MS and Apple have drummed "user-friendly" into the heads of their users.
People feel like the big companies own "user friendly," and they think
it actually means something besides "what we are used to."  Would
anybody be interested in getting completely out of the box and talking
about how we could do this?

-Wolf
Atlanta Cloud Technology, Inc
and