[ale] A Real Sad Loss for Open Source in the Atlanta Area

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 22:07:32 EDT 2010

  On 10/14/2010 07:56 PM, William Bagwell wrote:
> On Thursday 14 October 2010, Scott Castaline wrote:
>> I agree. My wife is a state employee and she sends me all of her word
>> docs and excel sheets and I haven't had problems with them in OOo. I
>> even do her travel expense reports for her on my desktop. The only
>> issues I've had is that when they send a new updated template that is
>> supposedly changed (by a "Power User") how it does things, it never
>> fails to come through as broken and I wind up having to redo all of the
>> formulas and macros changed so that it'll do things the way the powers
>> to be want it done. It never works right on her laptop (M$ XP), so it's
>> not in the translation process that it breaks.
> By "macros" do you mean VBA script macros? Or the 'record all these
> laborious manual steps' macros? If the former, how are you running them
> with out totally re-writing them in OOo basic first?
>
> I had zero luck a few years ago trying to run a few scripts in OOo I had
> previously written on a Borg box. Or even open up the old code to try to
> start re-writting it...
I guess I wasn't very clear, sorry about that, it's the record these
monstrosity that aren't really necessary but I'm so cool because I can
do this type of recorded macros. As far as basic macros, I have seen
some of those run on OOo, I'm pretty sure that if you're careful and do
it "right" and not the M$ way that it will work.