[ale] A Real Sad Loss for Open Source in the Atlanta Area

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 15:04:54 EDT 2010

there's a nifty plugin for M$ Office that allows it to read and write odt,
ods, and odp.

In general, schools provide _0_ training on most new technology anyway. But
when there is an opensource initiative, it seems they go out of their way to
kill it by being even less helpful than before. Arbitrary rules like "it
must work EXACTLY like old product foo", "it must have the same screenshots
in this book" and other useless requirements are presented as excuses to go
back to the "stuff that worked" (and eats 80% of the technology budget to
keep working to any level of functionality).

I want to see the deal M$ shafted them with. How much "free" crap they got
and for how long do they get unlimited licenses.