[ale] OT: Moving email from one web host to another.

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 10:57:22 EDT 2010

Basically, shut down the email service on the old server once you are
ready for your users to start using the new server. Any email servers
trying to send to your old server will get no response until their DNS
records update (which really shouldn't take too long). They will keep
trying to send the emails to your server for a few days before
dropping the email. The DNS records should update before that happens.

It's not pretty, but it's a helluva lot better than trying to juggle
emails between servers.

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/